Duran Duran

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Rachel

Duran Duran

Post by Rachel »

Is There Something I Should Know? (one of my top 5 80s records) has just been played on Absolute 80s radio station. I have to ask, does anyone else think about Starfleet when they hear that song? It's my personal association (just as I think of Anne of Green Gables whenever I hear These Dreams by Heart). I sometimes wonder what images the songs I like evoke in other folk.
Rachel

Duran Duran

Post by Rachel »

The other day my mum told me she doesn't associate any popsongs with programmes, unless the song = the show's theme-tune. She obviously never thought about her favourite programmes whilst listening to music! My personal song associations = usually fixed for life; but I may have an occasional change. I used to want to sing Clout's Substitute ("if she doesn't come back I'll be your substitute, whenever you want me...") to Adam in Butterflies, in the episode where he gets his heart broken by Annie. Now, I want to sing it to Jay in the Inbetweeners, when he gets dumped by Chloe.
Crash

Duran Duran

Post by Crash »

Duran Duran is one of those bands that you feel like you ought to like but ... most of their songs are pretty ... atonal.The living daylights etc. are good but lots of their headline tracks just don't do anything for me.Not sure how they strike such a chord with so many people.Wondered if you could recommend some tracks from their albums that might grab me.I had a quick blast through their discography and dipped in but wasn't too thrilled.I have all their hits going back through the Now ... albums and I wasn't too thrilled with them.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Rachel

Duran Duran

Post by Rachel »

Well I think Is There Something I Should Know? = their absolute masterpiece. And I reckon Simon Le Bon's second-best song = Election Day (but that's by Arcadia, not Duran Duran). The DD runners-up...probably The Reflex (which had a great video, with a tidal wave coming out of a screen), and New Moon on Monday.They had quite a good song in 1990, The Violence of Summer.
FZeroOne

Duran Duran

Post by FZeroOne »

I always liked "Ordinary World", but thats probably a bit later than what you're going for. I think with Duran Duran its something that was "of the time"; there really was a time when MTV actually played music videos, and there actually was a time before pop videos. Duran Duran were sort of early pioneers in the movie-like glamour video arena (as opposed to, say, Abba playing a piano in a field... )
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Rachel

Duran Duran

Post by Rachel »

I think years ago, someone here said that Erasure's Sometimes made him think of Terrahawks. That is a great song, but it's not one of my own Thawks-nostalgia songs; instead, it makes me think of the Beano. Actually, that gives me an idea for another thread....
Darthdc

Duran Duran

Post by Darthdc »

(Crash Override @ Jun. 03 2012,12:51)QUOTEDuran Duran is one of those bands that you feel like you ought to like but ... most of their songs are pretty ... atonal.The living daylights etc. are good but lots of their headline tracks just don't do anything for me.Got your Bond themes mixed. Duran Duran performed "A View to a Kill". The Living Daylights was performed by A-Ha.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

Duran Duran

Post by Crash »

Oh yeah, A view to a kill isn't so bad at all.
Dream big and bold and daring.