English voices with Japanese masters

Chat about creative work on other sites
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

This is something that has gone through my head since I first heard the Japanese masters. What would the English voices sound like with the Japanese masters?Instead of just sitting there and wondering, I did something about it.... With the magic of Audacity, some of the Vow Wow tracks and the helpful fact that the Japanese masters were reused a great lot, I was able to give myself an insight as to how it would sound.Here are three audio samples of what I was able to construct. All three samples from the first episodeEDF's First Encounter: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CF5BX2XGAttack on Pluto Alpha Base: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZXV3775ZX-Bomber into Battle: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG1Q9IB0Hope you can enjoy these and not think that I just ruined the series for you...These were mostly completed using masters from the Japanese, French and Italian dubs. I removed the music from the voices using Audacity 1.2.6, which unfortunately doesn't accomplish removing the drum beat music completely.I might do more in the future, based on your responses. Most likely when the Alliance attacks Lamia in the second episode and the Dai X launch in the fourth...
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

So this is Star Fleet using the footage from X-bomber, with English voices and BowWow OST's?Ingenious.There was some talk a while back about redubbing it again using new voice actors or just ourselves. This was going to be Star Fleet fan dubs but I've not heard anything about it since.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I would like to congratulate you on a job well done! The quality of the output is really good.What I've always wondered was how great it would be to compile the whole Star Fleet (UK) audio with the Japanese video master.This is ingeneous stuff and it's good to have a sound programmer on the forum!There is a track in the UK soundtrack that wasn't released on CD. Given that it plays twice in the series ... can you feed both those samples into a program and tell it to cut out the differences (ie. the speech and sound effects)?

Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 31 2011,14:06)QUOTEThis is ingeneous stuff and it's good to have a sound programmer on the forum!There is a track in the UK soundtrack that wasn't released on CD. Given that it plays twice in the series ... can you feed both those samples into a program and tell it to cut out the differences (ie. the speech and sound effects)?Thank you very much!The one played when Star Fleet first encounters the Imperial Mothership and when the Ocean Patrol Fleet takes on the Hologram FG Fighters is the one I assume you mean.... That's the one thing that disappointed me about the soundtrack, it would be more disappointing though if the suite from Episode 6 wasn't on there (which is my favorite).I can give a shot at it I suppose, but keep in mind Audacity can only do so much... Considering the series' audio track was in mono format, I can't remove the vocals (I could were it stereo).So if I try, don't be surprised if there are still sound effects attached... And I of course can't remaster it like the CD was...
Crash

Post by Crash »

I'm sure you're right but the one I was thinking of is the track from the black hole episode (episode 7, is it? - I think it was conveniently exactly 7 minutes in) where X-Bomber fires its laser at the fighters and also towards the series' end where X-Bomber shoots at Orion's drone craft with the rear-facing lasers.The remastering was certainly impressive but it became a bit clinical at the same time.Was it only in Mono - that's a God-damn shame. I hadn't realised that.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 31 2011,22:35)QUOTEI'm sure you're right but the one I was thinking of is the track from the black hole episode (episode 7, is it? - I think it was conveniently exactly 7 minutes in) where X-Bomber fires its laser at the fighters and also towards the series' end where X-Bomber shoots at Orion's drone craft with the rear-facing lasers.The remastering was certainly impressive but it became a bit clinical at the same time.Was it only in Mono - that's a God-damn shame. I hadn't realised that.That one? Considering it repeats the same beat over and over again it should be managable, but I can't promise anything.Well regardless if the track I mentioned wasn't what you had in mind.... I found that piece was actually managable with some pitch changing. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HTL9RHJ0I'm actually feeling proud of it despite a clank and a whooshing sound here and there.....Yeah, I noticed that not everything sounded the same really.Only in mono... I was hoping that before I bought the DVD that it'd have remastered audio... But Star Fleet's remastering wasn't as fancily remastered as the Gerry Anderson series *which considering how "Thunderbirds" was given craptastic modern sounds mixed in, it's probably a good thing*
Crash

Post by Crash »

Ahh, yes of course, this track... Yeah, that is a really good result!By all means, upload your data to X-Archive. I'm gonna get it working properly with all the file-types tomorrow. I've got 3 hours between classes with nothing much to get done. So, I'll hack it then.I hadn't really noticed any difference with the sounds when I watched the Thunderbird DVDs. The picture was good though.Problem with Star Fleet is that it has a very murky and fuzzy picture in comparison to the Japanese DVDs, which are a good bit sharper.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Apr. 01 2011,00:22)QUOTEAhh, yes of course, this track... Yeah, that is a really good result!By all means, upload your data to X-Archive. I'm gonna get it working properly with all the file-types tomorrow. I've got 3 hours between classes with nothing much to get done. So, I'll hack it then.I hadn't really noticed any difference with the sounds when I watched the Thunderbird DVDs. The picture was good though.Problem with Star Fleet is that it has a very murky and fuzzy picture in comparison to the Japanese DVDs, which are a good bit sharper.If I get the chance, yeah I'll do that...Well, the difference is clear if you compare the DVD's with VHS clips.... Carlton International did a half assed job remastering the series (I noticed that all they did for the most part when it came to any actual remastering was just converting any area where the voices weren't covering the music and converted it to stereo and that's something I could do. Instead of doing a thorough remastering job and doing them under the voices as well. This seemed to change when they remastered the Captain Scarlet audio though) and thus they put overly used modern sounds from "Sound Ideas" and "Hollywood Edge" over the original "Cinesound Effects Library" mix.It was, but i'm not terribly bickery over quality. It was definately better quality than any VHS rips that were online before hand. The second episode, I don't know what's with that one but it looks close to remastered, but seeing an old VHS version, it seems to have always have a blue-ish hue. The Japanese DVD's are magnificent quality, I do believe the French DVD has that footage too.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

That is an amazing job you've done there! QUOTEHere are three audio samples of what I was able to construct. All three samples from the first episodeEDF's First Encounter: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CF5BX2XGAttack on Pluto Alpha Base: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZXV3775ZX-Bomber into Battle: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG1Q9IB0Hope you can enjoy these and not think that I just ruined the series for you...These were mostly completed using masters from the Japanese, French and Italian dubs. I removed the music from the voices using Audacity 1.2.6, which unfortunately doesn't accomplish removing the drum beat music completely.It sounds so different to the "normal"  UK version I have.I've never heard (or watched) the Japanese Master DVD's. BowWow's take on the music is so different to Paul Bliss's. I like both versions. I'm envious you've got hold of the English, Japanese, Italian and French versions! I'd love to see them all and compare them.Well done, and very clever! QUOTESo this is Star Fleet using the footage from X-bomber, with English voices and BowWow OST's?Ingenious.There was some talk a while back about redubbing it again using new voice actors or just ourselves. This was going to be Star Fleet fan dubs but I've not heard anything about it since.I think it would be great to be able to re-dub X-bomber with English voices, but keep everything else original. That would be so different! Star Fleet Fan Dubs eh?It'd be such fun to watch it with "fans" voices too. I'll start another thread on this and see what other's think...Now I'm no expert but isn't the following track: QUOTEWell regardless if the track I mentioned wasn't what you had in mind.... I found that piece was actually managable with some pitch changing. [URL=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HTL9RHJ0 Actually on the Re-Mastered CD?It sounds to me like the first bit of "Part ii, EDF's First Encounter" from "Episode 1 suite: Thalian Invasion", 50 mins in from the start of the track on the CD?I wonder what Crash's "missing" track would sound like given the "bladez636" treatment?    I'm dead curious to hear it...

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Apr. 01 2011,21:13)QUOTEIt sounds so different to the "normal"  UK version I have.I've never heard (or watched) the Japanese Master DVD's. BowWow's take on the music is so different to Paul Bliss's. I like both versions. I'm envious you've got hold of the English, Japanese, Italian and French versions! I'd love to see them all and compare them.Well done, and very clever!I actually looked through YouTube, and found what was available of the Japanese, French and Italian dubs. There's only two episodes of the French version up. A brief few clips from the Japanese version (which I had to speed up by 4fps because the NSTC-PAL conversion speeds up footage by 4 frames (the "Star Fleet" footage is faster than Japan's "X-Bomber" footage). Every episode is up on YT in Italian by a user named "GiaffyLomanReturns" who but the Italian audio over the DVD footage.
(Vanessa @ Apr. 01 2011,21:13)QUOTENow I'm no expert but isn't the following track: QUOTEWell regardless if the track I mentioned wasn't what you had in mind.... I found that piece was actually managable with some pitch changing. [URL=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HTL9RHJ0 Actually on the Re-Mastered CD?It sounds to me like the first bit of "Part ii, EDF's First Encounter" from "Episode 1 suite: Thalian Invasion", 50 mins in from the start of the track on the CD?I wonder what Crash's "missing" track would sound like given the "bladez636" treatment?    I'm dead curious to hear it...Actually it was the similar sounding music played when the Astro fighters launch from Pluto Alpha Base. It had similar synth strings...I'm hoping to manage that track too, I like that track.