X-Bomber Re-dub?

Chat about creative work on other sites
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Just a quick note,Think I may have got the translation sorted, it's looking like I've found somewhere local that's willing to take it on.Will let you know more as I know it.BTW Awesome video quality of the ripped episode! Now I can see why everyone raves about the superior Japanese DVD quality. I can see more detail in the sets and puppets.Loved the Gelma test card Especially the ragtime tune.It somehow softens the menacing qualities of the Imperial Master More soon...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Righty, first, thank you Crash, for offering to do a voice (or two?).From the following list, who do you fancy doing?NarratorBarry HerculesShiro HagenJohn LeeKirara (only snoring!)Dr. BennTermoidsCaptain HalleyMakara's Symbiont (male voice)I am currently approaching two different Translation Services. In order to keep things simple for whoever ends up taking it on, I am in the process of creating a sort-of template for the transcriber, to help them understand what we want.This is just for the "missing 7 minutes" you understand.It will consist of a brief description of what's on the screen, followed by (for example)"Shiro said: "___". "This will look something like a script, with everything but the actual dialogue. I'll include each character's vocal emotion for that particular soundbite (e.g. "angrily"). I will also accurately time how long each piece of Japanese speech takes, in seconds, so we will then know how much time we have (later on) to speak the corresponding English lines. I'm not sure whether the transcriber will just:Listen to the Japanese speech and then write down the english translation, into my "speech boxes" on the "blank script".Or,maybe they'll write down a Japanese Transcription first, and then translate this into English for me to fill in the speech boxes myself. There may well be some interpretation required also. I've not done anything like this before, so it's a learning curve for me To help them I'll also make a reference guide, with pictures of each of the characters and their respective names in Japanese and English. For easiness I'll use the X-Bomber English names (e.g. Emperor Gelmar, not Imperial Master), just to assist the transcriber. Later we'll use whichever version of the names we want. But I'm guessing we'll use the English Star Fleet names.Rest assured, I'll put everything up, either on this thread topic, or on the X-archive, for folks to be able to discuss and debate over, before we get to the final "cut" Thanks to Shane's "GelmaBroadcastSystem" youtube channel, I now have access to a good quality complete Japanese Episode 18.-Luddite confession time- I have only just the other day found out you can download (as opposed to simply watching) youtube clips using a clever webpage; (There are probably other ways as well I expect) where I just copy and paste the address of the clip from youtube's address bar, into the webpage's "input box". This page is called "Save YouTube", and once you've done the cutting and pasting, you just click "go" and it saves the clip (in a choice of resolution quality that you pick beforehand) onto your designated directory on your computer!!!I'm sure it's old hat to everyone else, but it amazed me!That's right folks, for the past X-number of years, I've been watching my favourite youtube clips over and over, by going to youtube and just clicking on the play icon, each and every time I wanted to watch them (not that cheap on PAYG mobile broadband).DOH!The point of this rambling is that I've managed, using the above method, to download your EP18 clips from youtube Shane, so I have the entire episode on my laptop now.Although, what I could really do with, if you have the time, is a high-quality version of just the "missing 7 minutes", as one clip, that I can take with me to give to the translator. Rather than try to get this file to me somehow, you could just upload it to your youtube channel, and I could download it with my new-found web-widget. Then I can put this clip onto a USB memory stick, or burn it onto a blank DVD, or whatever, to give to the translator for them to work from.If you can't do this, it's no problem, I'll just use the clips I've saved from your BigDaiX site Sorry but it's beyond my limited capabilities to edit video clips.Now to some more points to ponder:Are we just going to re-dub the missing 7 minutes of Ep 18, including new sounds/music/effects, in the "Star Fleet Stylee"?Or is the intention to actually go the whole hog and re-do the entire missing Japanese Episode 18?The latter would raise some further questions:Assuming we're going for the Paul Bliss/Star Fleet stylee, we already have the correct intro to use, but what about the remaining 13 minutes of flashback footage?I know we have LEAH International's version of the English Translation, which could be sourced from the Star Fleet DVDs. But, is the intention to re-dub these flashbacks as well, using our own voices?Or do we just use the UK version's own soundtrack including the "proper" UK voice-actor voices for these Flashbacks?A complete Episode 18 re-dub would require a lot more work than just the 7 minutes.OK, we don't need to get anything translated, but the "script" would need to be created (I don't mind doing this).Then we'd need to record a lot more of our own character dialogue, and there'd be a lot more sound editing too.Another thing to think of before I get the translation done, is the "teaser" bit at the end, when the "Don't miss the next episode..." music plays.If we did the entire Episode 18, we'd need to add this as well. Now the question is:Would this teaser be "all-new footage" as well?Or would it just be the one from the UK version EP18 that already exists in English?Surely somewhere there must be a "missing" teaser section that was not used in the UK version? I'm getting a bit confused here!Maybe the original Japanese EP17 teaser was removed and replaced with the one from the (Japanese) EP18? when the UK version was created?If so do I need to get this "missing" teaser translated as well?We wouldn't need it for our re-dub of Jap EP18, but it would still remain as the last missing piece of non-translated footage.Or am I just going mad?Apologies for the wall of text!I'll shut up now
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

Yip, no problem I can rustle you up a good quality clip of just the new footage. Looking at the full episode again, though, I've noticed that some of the characters actually narrate some of the action that is taking place in the flashback scenes. Kozlo and Bloody Marry have a good natter over one such flashback and Shiro muses a little over his space bike and sidecar adventure with Lamia. I'll watch it again and try to include these clips along with the other 7 minutes.I'd recommend that we just use the existing Star Fleet footage for the flashbacks; we could then overdub any extra narration that's needed. I guess for this particular project we're just trying to recreate the 'missing episode' so we may as well give ourselves a break and not try to re-dub something that doesn't actually need to be. The Japanese teaser trailer at the end is visually the same as Episode 17 of Star Fleet. So we could just use that as well.You raise an interesting point, a point that also dawned on me the other day when I was ripping the episode - There's also a missing teaser trailer! At the end of X-Bomber Episode 17 there's a teaser for Episode 18. This obviously didn't make it into the UK incarnation either So I'll get around to ripping that too.Yeah, I too only recently learned the YouTube trick.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Hey thats cool! That'll help me when I'm going through the clip with the Translator, that it'll be of good quality and all on one compilation will be a real boon It looks like I'll have the opportunity to get some extra stuff translated as well (always a good idea to contact more than one translator).So please include ANY parts of EP18 that might contain new dialogue, including any speech that's over the top of the flashback sequences, in addition to the 7 minutes.Re-using the existing flashback sequences including their soundtracks is a neat idea. As you say, we'll have to overdub the new dialogue over these clips where this has also been done in the original Japanese EP18.Definitely use the UK EP17 trailer to put on the end of "our" EP18.The only problem I can see is that where, for instance, Shiro speaks in the flashback parts, this will be Jay Benedict's voice, but where we've had to create new English speech elsewhere in the episode, this would be the voice of the (as yet unfilled) "new" voice-actor, and hence the two version's of Shiro's voice wouldn't match.I'm glad you've come to the same conclusion as me about there being a "missing" trailer as well, the one on the end of Japanese EP17, that reveals bits about EP18.If you can rip that as well, I'll get it translated too. Maybe if we could just subtitle it into English, at least we'd have covered everything That'd be a neat adjunct to the main re-dub.This plan is beginning to...come together
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

(Vanessa @ Apr. 09 2011,02:06)QUOTEThe only problem I can see is that where, for instance, Shiro speaks in the flashback parts, this will be Jay Benedict's voice, but where we've had to create new English speech elsewhere in the episode, this would be the voice of the (as yet unfilled) "new" voice-actor, and hence the two version's of Shiro's voice wouldn't match.Yeah, this is true. The only way you could combat the slightly jarring effect of having two different voices for a character would be to strip away the audio from the Star Fleet flashbacks and rebuild them from scratch, adding our own dub. The downside to this is that it would be very time consuming and in the case of the Shiro flashback, slightly unnecessary as most of that flashback consists of Shiro and Lamia shouting out: 'Lamia!' and 'Shiro!' respectively.   It's a trade off I guess - Do we want to make the episode for Star Fleet purists and only dub when necessary? Or do we go the whole hog and re-dub the entire audio soundtrack and make something new?

Crash

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Crash »

I think you could just about get away with recording the never-dubbed material. Don't believe in work creation.I'm perfectly happy to be assigned any part(s). Pity General Kyle doesn't feature.We need a good Mr T impersonator for Hercules. That's not me.You can see me making an idiot of myself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_OyaszSjgThis my 'nervously trying to come across as competent and affable infront of the laptop video camera' voice. I do a good impersonation of most people. Arnold Schwarzenegger cracks people up. Another way of getting the videos from Youtube or anywhere else is the DownloadHelper extension for Firefox. That is very good. It just puts a download button in the browser and gets the media on the page for you (although it has other things as well).
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

A streamlined video for the translator:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHzTqHjv5hkAnd the Japanese teaser trailer for episode 18:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XFm25qB50
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Hey Guys! I'm back after a brief spell away!Firstly am I correct in thinking that we'll use the original UK version soundtrack c/w existing speech for the flashback sequences?It would take a lot of work to completely re-dub these sequences and they are already in English. As Crash says, there's no point in work creation   It does mean that I'm gonna have to try my best at imitating the corresponding UK Voice-Actors, so my re-dubbed parts are not too jarring when compared to the extremely good originals. I'm no Denise Bryer though... But it's only for fun!Assuming we're just going to re-dub the "missing" parts, and having heard (and seen) Crash on youtube, thanks to his link, I think you'd do a really good "Dr. Benn", Crash. You have quite a deep voice, and are very well spoken if you don't mind me saying!I also think you'd do a great voice for the part of the Narrator, who has to be well spoken and good at pronunciation.Whaddya think?I guess you do a mean General Kyle by your comment?We do need a good "Mr. T" impersonator for Barry as you say. Shiro and Captain Halley have quite high-pitched voices, as does John Lee, so maybe the same pesron could do all of those, whoever they might be?Although, having seen and heard you now Crash, I can't help but think that a certain "air of awesome mystery-ness" may have been lost...Now, thank you soooo much Shane, for putting up on youtube the two translation clips   I've just downloaded them onto my laptop in the highest definition possible (went and made a cuppa while this was going on    ).So now I have the clips ready, I'll be writing the "script template" with character emotions and voice timings, for the Translator to fill in. Then I'll post this on the forum for all to see and comment on...As British Rail used to say: "We're getting there".

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

Well, I'm right with you guys on not making any extra work for ourselves. if it ain't broke... I suppose when it comes to our voice acting, as long as it's true to the transcription and it's intelligible, we should just have fun with it.I could probably handle the Termoid voices as well, as I've got just the right sort of audio modulation effects for them in my sound editing set-up.
Crash

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Crash »

Lost huh? So what exactly were you half-expecting? Haha@Shane: - Agreed, - Agreed,- Awesome
Dream big and bold and daring.