That Coppmine gallery was quite good because it ran on collaborative software but that was literally *all* that you could say about it because it was so inflexible and difficult to use and look after.
The other thing was that it was written by a bunch of German developers who were very hostile if you asked them any questions regarding the software.
So that software had to go. I just had to get rid of it and, (to try and replace it), I created the 'Media' content-indexing system on xbomber.co.uk (which, I think, has become fairly good, actually).
It was always fairly good but, now, I think it's getting really good.
The nice thing is that it allows me to index and display any content regarding "The Game, "Star Fleet" or "Other" just using a few blocks of code that I wrote into the site's index.php file. (It also uses SLIR a lot for image resizing, which is the most useful online script I've ever come across).
The other nice thing is that, "what-you-see-in-the-site" is "what-you-get-on-the-filesystem-level".
By keeping the filesystem logical and clean, that's what you end up with on the site.
The Media system doesn't use the site's database at all and that's really good because I found that with Coppermine and with MediaWiki (where we tried to create a locally-hosted Star Fleet Wiki), they would just rename and scatter files all over the place and keep track of their locations in the applications' databases.
If you ever tried to download that file structure (over FTP for instance) you just got an unordered folder, full of a mess of images and files.
Just to let you know about the original Wiki project...
The MediaWiki software was very tiresome to use and editing articles was very, very time-consuming and difficult and, again, it was nearly-impossible to customise.
There was the problem noted above about the chaos it created when you uploaded any files to it.
The other thing was that, at the time, we were using Dreamhost, who are fairly notorious for overselling and thinly-provisioning their capacity and, even after we added only very few pages and very little content to the Wiki, it ran very slowly.
It seemed to need a huge amount of RAM and CPU time and a very fast database server to execute a colossal number of queries, which, I imagine, is why you have such a phenomenal number of adverts on Wikia; enough to bring an i7 machine to a grinding halt when you open their site in more than one tab.
They must need that many flash adverts and dodgy scripts running to pimp enough money to keep the behemoth data centre running that they must need to keep Wikia ticking over.
Long story short: MediaWiki was another of these general-purpose, free web-applications that's designed to try and please everyone and so they end up being hopelessly overcomplicated.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests