Wondering if I can help with 3D

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

That doesn't sound right. Crash, I thought you already had a X Bomber in 3D. Or am I going nuts?BTW Nigel, how that Terrahawks project going? I'm very interested because I've been considering doing some T-hawks 3D myself, since I loused up Star Fleet...Ben
NC

Post by NC »

Yep I take that back Crash should know better ;)Re-reading genesis there is reference to this "I had the X Fighters and Dai-X loaded" and "Dai-X fighters" these are also in the screenplay.. I'm going to have to let Andy explain because I honestly can't recall them Terrahawks had an incredible burst right at the start and then stuff came up that slowed it down, typical isn't it... There is a completed or 99% completed script which I'm considering uploading to the Terrahawks website, and if I can get going again I will be revisiting the Battlehawk because it needs a rebuild, technically in the only thing holding it back is going to be the characters, I can't find anyone who is capable enough to build and animate them and have the spare time to do it... I had a go at Ninestein in the Terrahawks topic and apparently people recognised him ;) but I'm no character modeller and animating characters is a mystery art form.I can fly ships about in space, blow them up but can't animate characters for toffy Terrahawks linkyI like PPA, I have a half finshed version myself, story of my life (half finished)Nigel
Crash

Post by Crash »

Has anyone actually read the story on this site - or is it just me? http://www.sfxb.co.uk/genesis/stftgenesisstory12.html
Dream big and bold and daring.
NC

Post by NC »

I think you will have to make them up, I don't recall seeing any designs or concepts for them
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Heh. you're not alone, Crash. I knew what it was too. To quote from the story:Quote ...the X Fighters aboard the K'Lar are one part standard EDF fighter, one part Dai-X fighter and one part Imperial fighter. They are fast enough to take on Imperial fighters, tough enough to withstand an Imperial battlecruiser's point defence weapons and powerful enough to penetrate Imperial armour.Since they were never in the show and since there's no visual description of them, Nigel is right: any designs would be our own. I had at least one idea in my head when I first read the story a few years ago. I'll have to toss together a basic model tomorrow.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(removed)edit: on second though, rather than continuing to detract from the original subject, I'll post my images in another thread.
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

Hi all. Sorry I haven't been in touch. My PPA file corrupted and now I can't open it I haven't read Genesis as I couldn't find it actually written any where on the site. One object I'd like to try my hand at is those guns the heroes use. Does any one have any freeze frames of those hand weapons? I tried an Imperial Fighter but it didn't turn out to well...Chow,BTW, I did a model of U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek if any one wants to take a look.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Just curious: what 3D software do you use?The Genesis story can be found off the main page's pop-up menus at the top, the one in the middle. Here's a direct link to the chapter list:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/genesis/stftgenesisstory.html
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

Thanks. I'm useing Carrara 3D Baisics which is EXTREMELY primative. But I think I've almost got the hang of it, I think. Somebody recomended Maya for Mac, is it any good? I also heard about a free download of it some where... Still need those gun freeze frames!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Quote (Dr. Ben @ 28 Mar. 2006,11:58)Thanks. I'm useing Carrara 3D Baisics which is EXTREMELY primative. But I think I've almost got the hang of it, I think. Somebody recomended Maya for Mac, is it any good? I also heard about a free download of it some where... There's a free demo called Maya PLE (Personal Learning Edition). The limitations are:The files are incompatible with the full "retail" version.The renderer has a limited resolution.Rendered images are watermarked.You can download Maya PLE here: http://www.alias.com/glb....ple.jspAnother option that many new 3D artists are using is Blender, a totally free and open-source 3D modeling and rendering application. Note when you download that Mac OS X ships with Python 2.3. So, unless you have manually installed Python 2.4, be sure to download the version of Blender that works with Python 2.3. Download links for Blender can be found here: http://blender.org/cms/Blender.31.0.htmlQuote (Dr. Ben @ 28 Mar. 2006,11:58)Still need those gun freeze frames!Want some gun freeze frames? I'll see what I can do. I'll post them in a new thread specifically for modeling them.