Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

Brad, perhaps you could do a Quicktime VR for Crash if he's not seen one before? They're good for showing off different angles.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Exellent idea, Andy! I've done just that. I've also uploaded several new images to my Star Fleet gallery. Just click through the link in my signature...
Crash

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Crash »

Thanks for that - that's really fantastic. You got some really cool stuff there. I had a good look at the Dai-X models when I came to drawing some sprites the other week.Does anyone know roughly the dimensions of X-Bomber or Dai-X?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Actually, this shouldn't be too hard to figure based on the full-scale models I made and posted in a picture here:I'll pull up the file and run some calculations and be back in a bit!
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Okay, assuming Shiro Hagen is about 1.8m tall, here's what I've figured:X-Bomber dimensions:height: 94.5mwidth: 82.2mlength: 210.4mDai-X dimensions, fully assembled:height: 56mwidth: 27.7mdepth: 10.4mFor the depth of the Dai-X, I ignored the feet because they nearly double its depth when standing. And, of course, these are all approximations. They are very close estimates based on my 3D models, but they are still just approximations since I don't think anyone here has the real dimensions.I hope you find this useful for your game!
Crash

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Crash »

Well I tried to work it out from some sprites I did and I came out with 206.7416 metres for X-Bomber's length so I guess we must be onto something. Thanks a lot, that's great. The sprites for X-Bomber and Dai-X are gonna be about the same size in the game otherwise the Dai-X'll be impossible to see. However I want the game's menus to be full of diagrams and so on so it'll come in mighty useful for that.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

Crash, have you seen the new front view line drawings from the Japanese LP that I posted and Brad (I think it was) very kindly cleaned up? If you're wanting technical sort of backdrops that might be useful for you.
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

Just noticed something - the Imperial Battlecruiser is 1600m long according to a comment made by an EDF tactical officer. That sound about right? In Star Trek terms that would be considered "canon" so everything has to fit round that!
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Goodness! I missed that line. When was that?Anyhow, I'm guessing that 1600m must have been a number that was made up for the script without consulting the prop/engineering department -- it seems a little too big. In that model file above, my Imperial Battle Cruiser was ~726m long. This is how it would look if it was 1600m long:
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

It's said in the first US tape - it's not of the main characters, I think it was a tac officer in the background when Makara's ship appears to hover over the main EDF base on Earth. I tend to agree that's a little long, and it could even be a translation issue or a number plucked from thin air, of course. But have a listen yourself anyway...