Escape Velocity: Star Fleet Genesis

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I had started this ship a while ago, but I never settled on a shape and size I liked until tonight. Without further ado, I present the Imperial Fighter's big brother: The Imperial Striker.For size comparison, here is the Fighter on top and Striker on bottom:The Imperial Striker is essentially a heavier version of the Imperial Fighter with a bigger gun and stronger armor. Of course, because it is slightly larger than the Fighter, the Striker cannot be carried by the typical Drone Craft...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Looking good as ever Brad. I'm messing around in X2 The Threat at the moment and there are some great designs there - an aquatic race has ships that actually ripple, or corkscrew, as if they're moving through water. No wonder some people are reporting machine slow downs, but very pretty and distinctive. EDF fighters are clearly space versions of more traditional Earth fighters so you're somewhat limited there, but Imperial wise it's pretty much up to how far you want to take the analogy. There's even an argument, given that they're cybernetic, for having semi-organic ships although as Mike says that's a whole different challenge for models...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Thanks for the kind words. That's actually the very idea I'm planning to follow, Mike! I've started looking at pictures of crabs, shrimps, scorpions, spiders, ants, and the like for inspiration of Imperial Alliance ship designs.For the Striker mentioned above, I created a Drone Craft-like spinoff named "Hive Runner" that transports eight Strikers:Here is a Hive Runner by a Drone Craft, for size comparison:I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with its design; so, I'm switching focus to working on models for the known "canon" ships. Over the weekend, I started on the most challenging of them all, in my opinion: the Imperial Battle Cruiser. Here's a shot of where it stands right now:I'm using this excellent scan from the Star Fleet Annual as a reference alongside the videos (which I have been playing constantly in a background window while working to keep me focused )
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Glad the scan's helpful, that's an incredibly tough thing to model... Might be worth asking Shane nicely for some screen caps of the mothership when it's over EDF command - good belly detail on thos shots.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
prinzemathieu

Post by prinzemathieu »

Inperial battle cruiser, very difficult and very interesting chalenge; good luck Brad and Andy.Ah, lot of french want Bomber'x DVD, and perhaps it will be possible. Wait and see.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I'll try and sort out some battle cruiser images. It looks like you have the basic shape of the ship sussed already though. They may come in useful for the fine details of the ship, like the gun ports etc.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Sorry to resurrect a 10-year-old topic but ... has anyone spoken to Brad lately?I wanted to ask him about his Hive Runner ship.
Dream big and bold and daring.