what do you want

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
NC

what do you want

Post by NC »

Right Chaps and Chapettes,You've all seen the Genesis story board - if not why not. go on off you go and have a look - alright everyone back? good. With the introduction of characters, who would you want to see, baring in mind that each character will take a while to create and rig so don't go mad :) With the Genesis story complete is the storyboard still what we want/need, so remembering the fact that we are talking about 5ish minutes what do you want to see.Dialog has sprung into my mind, just in time before posting this... there is a way to use the original voices but its not easy, we just steal the dialog from the original series and cut it about so they say what we want, or we can re-record them?BTW Andy could this be Project M or not. I'm just not saying :)Nigel
AndyThomas

what do you want

Post by AndyThomas »

The page in question is this one:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/genesis/stftgenesis3.htmlNote that the storyboard doesn't fall within the main Genesis storyline - which may be why Nigel's suggesting something different, now that the storyline's complete. The storyboard was aimed at being a CGI demo because it needn't have included the actors, but Nigel's got backup ;) so something else might now be doable.Just bear in mind, folks, that it ain't easy creating CGI movies of significant length - keep it realistic! I'll be happy with just about anything - whether it be from Genesis or a remake of part of an episode. There might be something to be said for the latter, as a proof of the theory - the original soundtrack could be added straight to it...?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
NC

what do you want

Post by NC »

Andy, To be honest and I'll admit to being thick, I didn't even think about remaking a section of an episode. That might not be a bad idea. What does everyone else think.Nigel
Shane

what do you want

Post by Shane »

My own personal opinion is that recreating an existing episode with CGI just for the sake of it would be a mistake. If you go to the trouble of building 3d models and maybe even the characters themselves, it would seem a waste of energy to recreate an old scene when you could do anything you wanted to with these models at your disposal. Your idea about cutting dialogue from the series is a great idea and is totally feasable with the aid of a hardware sampler (I've got an EMU and a Yamaha sampler which I could put to use if you so wished) and a bit of time going over the episodes. You could even intercut the original footage of the puppets with your new CGI ships, with maybe some NEW CGI characters created which could interact with the old footage with the aid of some fancy editing, NEW characters like Captain Arkama maybe, nudge nudge wink wink. Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
NC

what do you want

Post by NC »

I'm no good at the sound side of things so I might take you up on your offer Shane.Going with a new pilot would seem the best idea to me, it would certainly be something fresh and new cut it with the old dialog and it should look and sound great :)Nigel
NC

what do you want

Post by NC »

Such an overwhelming response…Just don’t complain when all your good ideas don’t get incorporated. Seriously a bit disappointing, I continue anyway
Shane

what do you want

Post by Shane »

Hang on in there Nigel. I wouldn't take the lack of response as a "diss" more a biproduct of having such a small community here.It might be worth trying to gain interest from people who aren't nessisary Star Fleet fans. A pilot showreel which featured some nice spacebattle sequences might be of interest to the sci fi community in general.It's certainly what I'm going to be looking into for my projects, I'm hoping that the Star Fleet video games that I have in the pipeline will be of interest to retro gamers, and will be looking to link to relevent sites: mame etc.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
NC

what do you want

Post by NC »

This is going to take sometime so I appreciate keeping everyones interest is going to be difficult, I hope that project M might help in some way followed by Project T Keep guessing Andy It might give everyone the Star Fleet they crave, or fall flat on its face...Nigel
AndyThomas

what do you want

Post by AndyThomas »

Sulk. No-one tells me anything! But in all seriousness, I think it's only realistic to say that Star Fleet does have a very small "core" band of followers. Most people just want to get hold of videos of the show - witness how many page views the Merchandise threads get. That's fine, it's reminding them of the show, which is what SFXB's all about. Taking it beyond that is something else entirely. I like the idea of touting the show to other arenas - the UK anime newsgroup would probably like it and you should all have a look at http://www.spacebattles.com/ (thanks to Jim for the link) to see what might be achieved.In terms of what might be put together - I've always thought that it would be good as a starting point to do the X Bomber launching from MoonBase - because it's reminscent of Thunderbirds. You could easily have the appropriate voice over section, but could rework the visuals to use spotlights and stuff on the ship as it gradually flies clear...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator